If you were to go outside and take a walk on your property, what would be the likelihood that a tick would bite you? If you are regularly attacked by these pests either on or off your property, you should consider doing something to reduce your chances of being bitten. To help you with this, here is a complete tick protection handbook to help you avoid these dangerous pests around Queen Creek.
What Clothing Deters Ticks?
Ticks invade their hosts from the ground up. They often climb to the top of tall grass or thick foliage to easily transition onto humans and animals passing by. If you are wearing long pants and have your pant legs tucked into your socks, these pests will have to climb up further to find a place to draw blood. By tightly tucking your shirt into your pants, you increase this distance even more.
To add an extra level of protection, consider wrapping rigid adhesive tape around your thighs with the sticky side facing outward. This may seem silly, but it will prevent ticks from gaining access to your upper body.
Does Tick Repellent Work?
Let's be honest. Most people do not want to tuck all of their clothing in before going outdoors. For this reason, many individuals opt to use spray-on tick repellent to keep these pests at bay. Some, however, do not like to use chemical-based deterrents. We recommend evaluating your options. Some natural-based products are less effective but still provide a level of protection against these dangerous pests.
Some Areas That Commonly Host Ticks
Ticks do not like spending long periods out in the sun. To stay cool, these pests gravitate towards shaded areas like under thick foliage, inside bushes, or tall grass. If you are trying to avoid ticks while outdoors, steer clear of any site that would allow greenery to be brushing up against your legs or midsection.
How To Deter Ticks From Your Property and Home
There is no way to entirely prevent ticks from coming onto your property with do-it-yourself (DIY). There are, however, many methods that help to deter these pests. Here are a few you should know:
- Mow your grass regularly and keep it short but not too short that it will damage your turf.
- Trim up bushes and foliage to reduce shade opportunities.
- Install a three-foot-wide barrier of wood chips or gravel between wooded areas around your yard and your lawn.
- Address moisture issues by eliminating water build-up, repairing and cleaning out your gutters, and fixing leaking outdoor spigots.
- Use a caulking gun to seal off holes, gaps, and cracks in your home's exterior foundation.
- Make sure your window and door screens are in good working condition.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors to keep down moisture levels.
- Deter tick carrying wildlife from your property by installing a fence around your yard and garden.
The Benefits Of Professional Tick Control
There are two ways the experts at Pro Active Pest Control help homeowners in our area stay safe from ticks. The first is by treating their properties with professional pest control. This creates a defensive zone that eliminates ticks as they try to sneak into your yard to reproduce and cause trouble. The second way we defend homeowners is by installing treatments and prevention strategies around the exterior of homes. These defensive measures keep out tick-carrying pests like rodents, birds, and bats.
Call today if you have any questions about how we control ticks and schedule your Queen Creek home and property for a service visit.