Ant infestations are the most common insect pest in America. There are nearly 792 identified ant species in the U.S., living in defined social caste colonies. The small, seemingly harmless insects can cause incalculable damage to your property. Additionally, the bugs can pose serious health risks for your family members allergic to bug bites. Pest control in Elk Grove can reduce the ant population in your home, keeping you and your family safe.
Signs You Have An Ant Problem In Your Home
Ants build colonies underground that they use for food storage and breeding. The size of these colonies can be smaller or larger depending on the species. Some ant species may have multiple colonies in one area. Here are warning signs you may have an ant invasion on your property:
- You notice a line of ants marching into your home.
- You see tiny mounds of dirt above ground.
- You hear rustling noises in your walls.
- You spot discarded wings of swarmer ants on your porch or window sills.
- Ants overrun your leftover food.
- You notice a trail of sawdust-like shavings.
If you suspect you have an infestation on your hands, call in professional ant control in Elk Grove. A pest exterminator can identify the species invading before recommending effective ant control products to eliminate the bugs.
The Many Issues An Ant Infestation Can Cause In Your House
Most homeowners view ants as a nuisance rather than dangerous pests. Unfortunately, the not-so-innocent bugs can destroy home structures, cause painful bites, and spread bacteria on your property. Here’s a more detailed look at the dangers of ant infestations in your Elk Grove home:
- Weak structures: Ants can build massive colonies under your foundations, weakening the structural stability. Carpenter ants can cause damage to the wood in a home by hollowing out galleries for nesting purposes. These ants prefer to nest on moist, rotting wood, further compounding your structural safety issues. If you think carpenter ants might be nesting in your furniture or walls, you should find ant pest control services near you immediately.
- Fire hazards: Ants build nests around electrical wires and outlets, especially in wall cavities. The tiny bugs will chew through the wiring as the colony expands, leading to a short-circuit. Ants electrocuted in an appliance such as air conditioner release pheromones that attract more colony members that suffer the same fate, increasing the risk of an electrical fire. Protect your home through professional ant control near you.
- Health issues: Some species, such as fire ants, can attack humans or pets ferociously to defend their nests. The bites and stings can be painful, with people allergic to insect bites more likely to develop serious inflammatory reactions. Fire ant control services can help keep you and your family safe.
The Problems With Do-It-Yourself Ant Control
While fighting off the ant infestations alone can be fulfilling, most homeowners often get it wrong. Poor ant pest control leads to nasty infestations, with the bugs developing resistance to certain insecticides. DIY sprays and natural repellants are often ineffective at deterring the industrious insects from nesting in the home.
Additionally, certain pesticides may be harmful to your family's health if you don't take proper precautions during use. Failing to discriminate ants from other beneficial insects in your yard can also do more harm than good.
Call The Pros At The First Sign Of Ants In Your Home
Your best bet at ant control for homeowners is to hire professional exterminators. At Pro Active Pest Control, our technicians have special training and experience in effective ant removal. We can help you know what species of ants you're dealing with and where their nests are likely to be found.
We also have professional-grade tools, supplies, and chemicals that ensure the job is done right. Reach out to us today to learn about our ant control solutions in Elk Grove.