If you are struggling with ant pest control in Mesa, you are not alone. Ants can be a major problem for Mesa homeowners and can be very difficult to eliminate. We are going to dig a little deeper into the world of ants and find out what it takes to achieve total ant control.
Habits And Behaviors Of Common Home-Invading Ants
The hot and arid conditions in Arizona make it a perfect home for numerous ant species. Here are some insights into the behaviors and habits of some of the ants you may see around your home.
- Fire ants: These aggressive little guys usually nest in sunny open areas but sometimes end up in homes searching for water and food. When they find a nice greasy or sugary snack, they will swarm it. They have a painful sting, so use care when approaching them.
- Carpenter ants: Carpenter ants are fond of damp wood and can make nests inside your wall voids. They can tunnel right through the wood, making them a particularly destructive pest.
- Argentine ants: As social insects, Argentine ants create gigantic colonies that can number into the millions. When they invade your home, they are likely looking for the same sugary snacks that are popular with other ants.
- Pavement ants: These ants come out from the cracks and crevices in pavement and sidewalks when they are looking for water and food in your home. They aren't as picky as some of the others and will eat sweets, meats, and greasy food.
- Odorous house ants: These tiny ants have some large colonies as well, but not as large as the ones Argentine ants build. They like the sweet and greasy foods in your home. If you step on them, be prepared for the nasty smell they emit.
The abundance of ants in Arizona certainly enhances our ecosystem, but when they are taking up residence in our homes, some form of ant control in Mesa may be necessary.
Ants In The Home Can Create Many Problems
Other than the annoyance ants can cause, there are two other reasons you don't want them hanging around your house.
In the case of carpenter ants, that reason is damage to your home. Carpenter ants eat through the structure of your home. Most of the other types of ants bring the risk of food contamination. They carry around bacteria and pathogens on their tiny little bodies, spreading them everywhere they go. Contaminated food or food prep surfaces can cause illnesses.
You can avoid these problems with home pest control near you from Pro Active Pest Control.
Prevention Is Critical To Successful Ant Control
Ant control for homeowners can be challenging, but preventing these tiny invaders can save you time, money, and stress in the long run. Keep ants out of your home with the following tips:
- Fix moisture issues, including leaks and pooling water.
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Cover the trash can and empty it often.
- Keep firewood away from the house.
- Trim back bushes and tree branches near your home.
- Sweep and mop often.
- Wash dishes as soon as possible.
- Fix cracks in the foundation.
- Seal around doors and windows.
- Seal the gaps around your plumbing pipes.
Ant prevention is a smart move for any homeowner because it not only saves you from ant invasions, but many of these ant prevention tips also work against other pests.
Contact The Professionals About Total Ant Control
If you haven't been able to repel the invasion of ants on your property with normal ant control methods, call the experts at Pro Active Pest Control. We will assess the situation and provide effective ant control to eliminate the ants and prevent their return.