Lincoln is home to a wide variety of ants. While some of them can be more bothersome than others, they all pose a health risk to you and your family if you allow the infestation to go unchecked. Ants in this area like to live in extremely large groups, so if you see one or two ants in your home, there is a good chance that you already have a full-blown ant infestation. At Pro Active Pest Control, we offer the best pest control in Lincoln and understand the challenges of achieving complete ant control. Here is a look at everything you need to know about keeping ants out of your home.
Types Of Ants Common To The Area
There are several types of ants common to the Lincoln area. Some of the ants in this area can be destructive and cause a lot of damage to your property. Some of the various types of ants that you are most likely to see in this area include:
- Pavement ants: These ants are only about ⅛ of an inch long and have dark brown or black bodies. They are often found under and around the pavement, as their name suggests.
- Argentine ants: The Argentine ant originated in South America, but experts suspect they came over from Brazil in the 1800s. This species of ant is one of the area's most invasive types of ants.
- Carpenter ants: This type of ant is one of the most destructive species on this list. Carpenter ants build their nests inside wood beams and other wooden structures. Over time, as their colony becomes bigger and more mature, the wooden structure will become hollowed out and brittle.
- Fire ants: The fire ant is one of the most feared ant species. You can usually find their nests in areas with a lot of sunshine. They are territorial animals that will both bite and sting you if you disturb their nest.
All of the ants in this area are invasive insects. While most species prefer to stay outside, they will come into your home if they sense that there is a viable food and water source inside.
Why Ants In The House Can Be So Problematic
Ants are more than just an annoyance; they can cause a lot of problems for you and your family. Both carpenter ants and fire ants are known to leave painful bites if you get too close to them. Ants can also spread dangerous diseases and viruses, including salmonellosis and E. coli. If carpenter ants find a way to invade your property, they could cause structural damage to your home and other structures.
Five Naturally Effective Ant Prevention Tips
It is much easier to prevent an ant infestation than to get rid of one. If you want to keep ants out of your home, follow these easy and natural tips:
- Keep all human and pet food in airtight containers.
- Keep a lid on your indoor and outdoor trash cans.
- Keep outdoor trash cans away from your home.
- Make sure to sweep and wipe up any food crumbs on your floors or countertops.
- Seal up any cracks and gaps around your home.
It is also a good idea to keep your yard well-maintained by keeping the grass cut short, and all bushes and shrubs cut back away from your home.
Professional Assistance Is Key To To Talk Ant Control
If you are looking for total home ant control in Lincoln, look no further than Pro Active Pest Control. We know how to eliminate and prevent ants from invading your home. Give us a call today for a free quote.