While there are a variety of pests that can sneak their way into your home or business, ants are some of the most common. You'll often see them crawling around cupboards or coming out of holes near the sidewalk, and while they might seem like just a nuisance, they can cause some big problems. For many reasons, ants are pests you want to avoid on your Gilbert property, and professional ant control is often the most effective way to remove them.
Common Ants In Gilbert
Some of the most frequently invading ant species in our area are odorous house ants, Argentine ants, fire ants, and carpenter ants. Of these, fire ants pose the most health risks as they can sting and bite, and some people are allergic to their venom. Carpenter ants are the most destructive species, as they can tunnel through wooden structures. But, even the more harmless varieties of ants can be invasive and can contaminate food sources.
Here is how you can identify each species:
- Odorous house ants are brown or black, but they are best identified by the smell of rotten coconut they emit when crushed.
- Argentine ants are light brown to dark brown, and they are known for being extremely invasive.
- Fire ants are a reddish-orange to yellowish-orange color, and they usually live outside but sometimes come indoors.
- Carpenter ants are dark brown to black, and some members of the colony have wings.
Why Are Ants So Hard To Remove On Your Own?
While many pests in the area are invasive, ants are some of the worst. They are tiny enough to slip through extremely small holes, and once inside, they can live inside the walls or under floors, making it difficult to find the entire infestation and eradicate it. Ant colonies can also be extremely large, housing thousands of individuals.
These factors make it difficult to remove the entire infestation, and using over-the-counter sprays and traps doesn't work that well. These items might remove some of the individuals, but they won't eliminate the whole infestation.
How Professional Ant Control Can Help
At Pro Active Pest Control, we offer ongoing ant control services that use a combination of environmentally friendly options and regular inspections to keep ants from coming around. We focus on prevention, and we also work with you to help identify ant problems quickly.
Our residential visits include an interior inspection, a foundation treatment, and seasonal pest treatments to target any ants around your yard. Our services will eradicate any current ant problems and keep others from coming back.
A Few Ant Prevention Tips
In connection with Pro Active Pest Control's services, there are also some things you can do to prevent ants:
- Remove trash and debris from around the property and use tight-fitting lids for all garbage cans.
- Clean up food and drink spills immediately.
- Seal up holes in the walls and foundation with caulk and foam.
- Repair screens in doors and windows and install door sweeps and weatherstripping.
- Wipe down countertops and clean your floors often.
Get started with our pest control plans and protect your property from invasive ants by giving us a call today.