Ants are some of the most common pests in Elk Grove, and because we see them so frequently, it can be easy to forget the many dangers they bring into our homes. It's no secret that ants and other pests look to our homes as a source of food, water, and shelter. What's harder to fathom are the ways you can keep ants out of your home. Here's what residents should know about common ants and how they get inside, the issues ant infestations cause in homes, and the most effective pest control in Elk Grove.
Characteristics Of Common Ants
There are a variety of different ants in Elk Grove, and with different ants come different hazards for your home and family. Some of the most common ants in Elk Grove include:
- Argentine Ants: Tiny brown to black ants, Argentine ant colonies can contain hundreds of queens and millions of workers.
- Carpenter Ants: As their name suggests, carpenter ants do a significant amount of damage to wooden structures when they are permitted to nest inside our homes. They are large ants and range in color from red to black.
- Fire Ants: Small and red, fire ants often nest outside homes and deliver painful stings to anyone that ventures too close to their tunnels.
- Odorous House Ants: Named for the rotten smell they emit when crushed, odorous house ants are often found near excess moisture.
- Pavement Ants: Frequently nesting in pavement or concrete, these little black ants will enter homes in search of any accessible food.
- Pharaoh Ants: These small yellow ants spread more than a dozen pathogens, including salmonella and streptococcus.
While unique, each of these ants brings a host of problems to your home.
All The Issues An Ant Infestation Can Create In Your Home
Effective ant control is an essential component for Elk Grove homes. While they may be tiny, the issues that ants cause can range from health risks such as the spread of disease, food contamination, and painful stings to property damage and large infestations that are hard to control. The best pest control for ants is preventing infestations from occurring in the first place, but a close second is quality pest control from a trusted source such as Pro Active Pest Control.
Why And How Ants Find Their Way Into Your Home
There are a variety of ants and a variety of things that attract them, but in general, you can assume that ants will be drawn to homes that provide easy access to food, water, and shelter. You can limit the things that attract ants by taking the following steps:
- Store food in airtight containers.
- Cover indoor and outdoor trash cans and empty them regularly.
- Keep floors and counters clean.
- Eliminate excess moisture by fixing leaks, maintaining drainage, and running dehumidifiers.
- Seal cracks and crevices that provide entry points for ants and other pests.
- Install weatherstripping and door sweeps to eliminate gaps around windows and doors.
Taking steps to prevent ants from entering your home is far easier than attempting to eliminate ants that have made it inside.
The Most Effective Ant Control Method For Your Home
The most effective way to keep ants away from your Elk Grove home is with professional help from the experts at Pro Active Pest Control. We can work with you to develop an ant control plan for your home that eliminates any existing infestations and stops them from coming back. Call or connect with us online today to request your free quote and get started with services.