If you have cockroaches in your Lincoln home, you are likely looking for the fastest and most effective way to get them out and keep them out. For that, you can depend on pest control in Lincoln. But before you get started, there are some things you might want to know regarding cockroach facts, including their habits and behaviors, germs and other health concerns they spread, and the top ways you can prevent and control cockroaches in your Lincoln home.
The Dirty Habits And Behaviors Of Common Cockroaches
Cockroaches are known for their unsanitary behavior, and while different types of cockroaches frequent different areas, they are all drawn to decaying material. This preference leads cockroaches to spend time in garbage, sewage, carcasses, and other unsavory places. Their spiny legs can pick up all manners of pathogens from germ-infested places before tracking them through your home and across your countertops. If you find a cockroach in your house, it's important to consider the places it may have been before entering your home.
How Roaches Spread Germs And Trigger Allergies
Because of the places they frequent and the pathogens they pick up, cockroaches can spread over 30 different kinds of bacteria. In addition to this, they carry six different kinds of parasitic worms and at least seven other human pathogens. And if this weren't bad enough, there are also allergies to consider.
One of the lesser-known cockroach facts is that cockroaches have a specific set of proteins in their feces, saliva, and body parts that can trigger allergic reactions and asthma attacks in many people. Children and the elderly are most susceptible to these reactions, but anyone can be vulnerable.
Five Easy And Effective Cockroach Prevention Tips
Of course, the best way to prevent a cockroach infestation is to prevent it from happening in the first place. The top five ways you can keep cockroaches out of your home include:
- Eliminate food sources: Cockroaches are drawn to any source of food. Keep counters and floors free of spills and crumbs, store leftovers in airtight containers, cover trash cans, and keep dirty dishes out of the sink.
- Eliminate excess water: Don't let moisture draw cockroaches into your home. Fix leaks, maintain drainage, and use dehumidifiers where needed.
- Eliminate entry points: They can't come inside without an opening. Keep cockroaches out by sealing cracks and crevices, installing weatherstripping, and repairing and replacing torn screens.
- Eliminate eggs: You may be able to get ahead of cockroaches by frequent cleaning and vacuuming to eliminate any unhatched eggs around your home.
- Invest in control: Given the dangers associated with cockroaches, it's never a bad idea to reach out for professional support in preventing these pests.
Pro Active Pest Control experts can work with you to put these and other prevention methods in place for your home.
The Secret To The Most Effective Cockroach Control In Lincoln
It's not just the health concerns that make cockroaches such an infamous pest. These insects are also known for their hardy nature. Cockroaches can live for months without food, for a week without their heads, underwater for over half an hour. And cockroaches are fast. They can run up to three miles an hour which is impressive but even more so is their reproduction rate. Newborn cockroaches become reproducing adults in just over a month. German cockroaches are the most common home-invading roach and can produce a capsule of eggs every six weeks, with each capsule containing around 40 eggs.
The rate at which cockroaches multiply, along with their inherent fortitude, makes getting rid of cockroaches harder than it may seem. The most effective pest control for Lincoln homes is a professional approach.
At Pro Active Pest Control, we can inspect your home for signs of an infestation, identify the species endangering your family, and provide you with a service to eliminate the cockroach infestation and prevent it from returning. Call today to get started eliminating cockroaches from your Lincoln home.