The fear of spiders is among the most common phobias among Americans. An estimated 3% -15% of the population suffers from arachnophobia. Most people attribute their fear to the creepy appearance and reputation for venomous bites. Yet, most are harmless, feeding on insect pests in your home. Only a few types of spiders have venom strong enough to affect humans. But you do not wish to have a house full of creepy spiders crawling around. Eliminate the scary bugs from your home with proactive pest control in Elk Grove.
Types Of Spiders Commonly Found In Elk Grove
There are over 66 different spiders native to California. Some of the common species found in Elk Grove include:
- Wolf Spiders: They are one of the largest and hairiest spider species in California, with some types of wolf spiders reaching close to two inches in body length. They have good eyesight, which helps them hunt for prey and avoid predators. Additionally, they are active hunters who don't spin webs.
- Cellar Spiders: A group of spiders with long skinny legs that build nests in dark, moist environments such as the cellar and crawl spaces. Pale yellow in color, these bugs weave large, sticky webs to trap insects and other prey.
- Black Widow: They are famous spiders renowned for their habit of feeding on males after mating. The spiders are shiny black or dark brown with an hourglass pattern on their abdomen. They are venomous, with the bites being fatal for people with low immunity.
Other less known yet common spiders in Elk Grove are the yellow sac and orb weaver. Call in professional pest exterminators specializing in spider removal to accurately identify the species invading your home and eliminate them.
Some Spiders Are More Dangerous Than Others
Almost all spiders have venom used to hunt their prey and protect themselves. Only two families lack venom glands. Most species are harmless to humans. The bites are typically dry bites that don't inject any venom into your bloodstream and cause only minor redness and itching.
However, you may need to watch out for bites from the black widow and the brown recluse. The black widow venom causes sweating, muscle cramps, chills, fever, and severe chest pain. Brown recluses can be identified by their violin-shaped markings on their cephalothorax. Their bites cause a local necrotizing lesion, where skin and muscle tissue around the bite site start to die and rot.
If you suspect that you've been bitten by either spider species, seek medical help immediately. You can better protect your family by hiring an Elk Grove pest control company to kill any spiders in your home.
Factors That Attract Spiders Into Your Home
Spiders become a problem when they start building nests within your property. But could you be unknowingly inviting them in? Here are some factors that can attract them:
- An abundant food supply in the form of an insect infestation in your home
- Warm weather during colder months
- Excellent harborage spots such as abandoned logs and yard debris
- Water leaks within your home
- Gaps or holes in your home that provide ideal hiding spots
Fixing these issues is a perfect way to keep the crawly spiders from invading your property.
Professional Pest Control Is The Best Spider Control Solution
Spiders can attack and bite if they feel cornered or threatened. Protect yourself and your family by hiring professional pest exterminators to eradicate the infestation. Our trained experts at Pest Active Pest Control have the necessary knowledge and experience to identify the spider species in your Elk Grove home.
We also use eco-friendly treatment products to eliminate these insects on your property. Call us today to discuss your spider problems and how we can get rid of them.