For many years there were only a few common home-invading cockroaches in Mesa, mainly the German cockroach and the American cockroach. But, recently, there is another invasive roach that has started spreading throughout the United States.
This species is called the Turkestan cockroach, and they have become more widespread because of their use as feeder insects for reptile keepers. However, this has led to them becoming a pest problem, and these cockroaches in Mesa are difficult to deal with and also dangerous. Find out more about the Turkestan cockroach and how to get effective cockroach control in this guide.
What Is A Turkestan Cockroach In Mesa?
The Turkestan cockroach is a close cousin to the Oriental cockroach. Both of these species are more likely to live outdoors than American or German cockroaches, but they will get inside at times in search of food or water. Turkestan roaches prefer humid areas, so they will come around homes if the environment in your yard or inside of your home is desirable to them. These roaches are often found around irrigation and pipes as well as in cracks in concrete foundations and walls.
The female Turkestan cockroach is a dark brown to black color and has cream-colored markings. They are about an inch long. The males of the species are brownish-orange and have yellow-brown wings that are a bit longer than the wings of the female.
Are Turkestan Cockroaches Dangerous In Mesa?
Most cockroach species are potentially dangerous, and the Turkestan cockroach is no different. The dangers of cockroaches include the fact that their saliva and droppings can lead to allergies and asthma attacks. Turkestan roaches can also bring around bacteria, parasites, and pathogens that lead to diseases. In some cases, they can cause serious illnesses such as salmonella.
The other thing you need to know about the dangers of cockroaches is that they will get into food items if they can. They will seek out lots of different things to eat, and when possible, they will get into pantries or even refrigerators.
Five Easy Prevention Tips For Mesa Homeowners
Because Turkestan cockroaches can be dangerous and also invasive, knowing how to prevent cockroaches is the best way to go. The following are the five most effective prevention steps:
- Focus on removing humidity issues. Start by removing standing water and clearing gutters around the yard. Next, clean up yard debris such as mulch, leaf litter, and grass clippings. Then, repair any leaky plumbing.
- Make it harder for cockroaches to find a way inside. Repair broken screens and install door sweeps and weather stripping. Use caulk and foam insulation to seal up holes in the exterior walls and foundation.
- Clean up kitchens often and wipe up food and drink spills right after they happen.
- Get lids for all trash cans that fit tightly and take out the trash on a regular basis.
- Get cockroach control help from the experts at Pro Active Pest Control.
- Leave Cockroach Infestations In Mesa To The Professionals
In order to prevent cockroaches for good, the best thing to do is get pest assistance from Pro Active Pest Control. Turkestan cockroaches and other species in the area are invasive, and the best way to both prevent and eradicate them is with help from experts. You can give us a call today to learn more or to request an inspection.