A pest infestation is bad news for Elk Grove homeowners no matter what pest has invaded. However, cockroaches are a special kind of pest due to seeming harmless, if a little gross, while actually being a clear and present danger if left unchecked. As with other pests, there are multiple species of cockroach in the Elk Grove area, who all pose different risks and concerns. The most common species you'll find in Elk Grove are:
- German Cockroach: This is by far the most common species of cockroach found indoors, and they are light brown in color. Only growing to 1/2" in length, they reproduce rapidly meaning any infestation with this species will grow out of control quickly.
- American Cockroach: The American cockroach is one of the largest growing up to three inches in length. They're also known to be fliers and are further identified by their dark red coloring.
- Oriental Cockroach: Shiny black in color, this species of cockroach is also the grossest thanks to living amongst garbage and decayed matter. They're often found in sewer lines and other dark and damp places in or near the home.
- Turkestan Cockroach: Roughly an inch long, this cockroach is a rusty red in color and primarily lives outside. However, at peak population, they can be found inside as well. It's usually the males that make it inside to start due to being drawn to porch lights.
- Brown-banded cockroach: Like the German cockroach, this one is known to invade homes and is brown in color as its name implies. However, they are smaller only making it up to about 14.5 mm in length at best.
As a rule, cockroaches are especially concerning for homeowners due to how formidable they are when faced with different environments. They can adapt to environmental changes and even different food sources. In fact, they have specialized enzymes within their body to help digest foods other pests wouldn't touch, making it nearly impossible to starve them.
Gross Enough To Be A Danger
It's not that cockroaches are gross, in fact, most pests are gross so that's nothing new. However, their grossness represents a clear danger to people because they have dangerous habits. For example, they will crawl along with the garbage and even into fecal matter in their journey. This, in turn, translates to a range of pathogens and bacteria clinging to their bodies. For this reason, common illnesses tied to cockroach infestations include but aren't limited to salmonella, typhoid fever, gastroenteritis, and E. coli among others.
Removal Is A Chore At Best
We're not saying that cockroach removal isn't impossible once they've invaded. With that in mind, we are saying that it's an uphill battle, which is why it's much more effective to practice cockroach prevention instead. Some reasons why you're in for a fight with cockroaches include but aren't limited to:
- Resilience: This pest can take nearly anything you can throw. They keep living for up to a week after losing their head. They can handle being submerged in water for half an hour. Save for the brown-banded cockroach, they're resistant to extreme cold, and can literally take a hit or two.
- Small Size: They are tiny and therefore can slip through cracks you don't even notice. As such, you can kill multiple cockroaches, but you'll never kill them all due to their ability to hide away.
- Speed: Most species can achieve speeds of three miles per hour or just under that. Combine that with their small size and they are uncatchable.
- Weird Eating: Not only can they eat and digest nearly anything, but they can also live for a month without food. They're only able to live without water for a week so it's best to focus on limiting water sources.
- Rapid Reproduction: It's never just one cockroach. It's dozens, if not hundreds, that invade. This is largely due to their egg capsules containing anything from 16 to as many
Eliminate The Cockroaches With Pro Active Pest Control
At Pro Active Pest Control, our team works hard to keep your home free of pests and their problems including cockroach infestations. Through the use of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques, we provide treatments that deliver guaranteed results while remaining safe for your family members and pets. Contact us today at Pro Active Pest Control to keep your home cockroach free with our ongoing pest control services and our free no-obligation quote.