If there is one kind of pest that has captured the imagination of humanity, but in a very negative way, it's the cockroach. These strong negative feelings that we have towards these pests are definitely warranted, and they likely developed as a way to protect ourselves from the dangers that these pests can bring. Cockroaches in Mesa homes can be extremely dangerous, and you must address them in order to keep your family safe. Knowing prevention measures is the overall best way to keep roaches out.
What Cockroaches Look Like
Cockroaches are oval-shaped pests with six legs, antennae, and wings that lie flat on their backs. While they do have wings, they generally don't fly. There are many different cockroaches, but only a few are commonly found in the area. The main species around Mesa are the German cockroach, American cockroach, and oriental cockroach, and the German cockroach is the most prevalent by far.
Why Cockroaches Are Dangerous
Cockroaches are known to spread around 35 different illnesses, including E. coli, salmonella, and dysentery, and they can also cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks. They spread many diseases because they often live around sewage, garbage, and even dead animals, and they then spread these pathogens into homes.
Six Cockroach Prevention Tips
In order to keep your home free of roaches, it's important to take ongoing steps to prevent them. The best way to go about this is to remove factors that attract cockroaches. Here is what you can do:
- Address moisture issues as most roaches prefer humid environments. Ensure good ventilation and repair leaky faucets and pipes.
- Keep food stored in airtight containers and wipe up food and drink spills right away. Also, regularly clean your kitchen.
- Declutter inside the home, in garages and sheds, and outside around the yard.
- Make sure that all garbage has lids that fit tightly and regularly take out the trash.
- If you have a lot of humidity problems, use a dehumidifier.
- Store pet food inside the house.
Keeping Cockroaches From Getting Inside
After you've done what you can to remove the elements that appeal to roaches, now you can focus on making it harder for cockroaches to get inside. Cockroaches can slip through any small openings around a property, so you'll have to check for narrow places they could fit through.
By following these measures, you can seal up your home against them:
- Repair holes and cracks around the exterior of the home.
- Get wire mesh coverings for vents and chimneys.
- Install or repair door sweeps and weatherstripping.
- Fix or replace screens in doors and windows.
- Keep drains cleaned as some species can enter through pipes.
The Most Effective Cockroach Prevention Measures
Even with doing all you can to keep cockroaches away, the fact remains that they are invasive pests that are hard to deter. The only effective way to get ongoing cockroach prevention is with assistance from Pro Active Pest Control. With our trained technicians, you'll get continuous pest control you can count on, and we also provide follow-up services if any roaches come back.
If you'd like to learn more or get started with an inspection, reach out today.