Pests do not have many options when winter hits. They are incapable of building tiny fires and they don’t have the intellect to manufacture tiny winter apparel. This leaves them with only two options, to invade our homes or try to survive outside. Naturally, the last thing you want is to share your home with pests through the cold months. For this reason, we have compiled every tip and trick you can use to exclude pests from your Sacramento property this winter.
How To Keep Pests Out
Start with your yard. Make sure your landscaping and bushes are well-trimmed. This will increase airflow and decrease moisture that pests love.
In the same way, trim back tree branches from the exterior of your home. Pests such as squirrels and rats use these overhangs to gain access to your roofline to get inside.
- Clear your yard of debris, clutter, and toys. The fewer places pests have to hide on your property, the better.
- For the same reason, store firewood at least 20 feet from the exterior of your home and make sure it is elevated.
- Make sure all of your exterior trash cans have tight-fitting lids so that pests cannot squeeze their way inside for a snack.
- Keep exterior lights off at night or replace their bulbs with insect-repellant ones.
- Rake leaves away from your home’s exterior as they promote moisture buildup which many pests love.
- Clean up spider webs as you see them around your property.
- Seal your home's foundation using a caulking gun. Look for any cracks or gaps pests could use to squeeze inside.
- Inspect your gutters and make sure they are unclogged and flowing properly. Even a small leak can damage the wood of your home and attract termites.
- Check your window and door screens for rips or tears. Even the smallest opening could allow flying pests a way into your home, so having damage repaired is crucial.
How To Make Your Home Less Attractive To Pests
- Make sure your trashcans containing food and drink are covered and tightly sealed.
- Clean food messes and drink spills as they happen to reduce your chances of attracting ants and other scavenging pests.
- Vacuum regularly. Even the smallest crumbs can be full meals to tiny pests.
- Store food leftover after meals inside airtight plastic containers.
- In the same way, repackage food stored in plastic bags and cardboard boxes in tougher plastic containers. Pests such as rodents have sharp teeth that can easily nibble their way into weak packaging.
- Pick up pet food and water bowls after they are done with them. This will prevent you from accidentally feeding pest invaders.
- Clean your cat's litter box regularly, as it can be a source for fungus flies and provide snacks for cockroaches.
- Use a broom to clean spider webs as you see them.
Common Overwintering Pests
There are a number of pests that might try to invade your home come winter. Some regular criminals you can expect include rodents, cockroaches, earwigs, flies, and beetles. Most of these pests only need your home as a safe haven to survive the winter months. They will most likely stay in your walls and lay their eggs. It is only during spring and fall that they are most noticeable and cause the most trouble inside homes. Rodents and cockroaches, on the other hand, prefer your home to the wild and will cause problems regardless of what time of the year it is.
What To About Pests When They Invade
If as you are reading this, pests have already gotten into your Sacramento home, don’t worry. We have a solution for that too. Here at Pro Active Pest Control, we have pest control options available for any pest plaguing you and your home. We can also make pest prevention easy for your this fall and winter with any one of our pest control plans. Whatever your pest need is, we have the best solution for you. Give us a call today for more details.