If a pest has more legs, does that make it more of a problem? It certainly makes it creepier. In the case of centipedes, the problems they cause do not depend on how many legs they have but rather on the species. Here are some things you should know about centipedes that invade homes in Mesa and what strategies best keep them outside where they belong.
The Most Common Centipede In Mesa
There are several species of centipedes that live in the Mesa area. Fortunately, most have no desire to invade homes. One species, however, loves coming indoors. These multi-legged pests are so common that they were aptly named house centipedes. What might interest you is that house centipedes are mostly beneficial arthropods. Like spiders, these pests consume other insects like flies, moths, termites, and silverfish. The only problem is that they are also terrifying. There are few people alive that would allow centipedes to freely roam inside their homes and we do not blame them.
Why Centipedes Invade Homes
The main reason centipedes invade human dwellings is to hunt for insects. If your home regularly has trouble with pest pressures, centipedes may find their way indoors while hunting. These pests may also invade properties during the fall and winter months as temperatures outside drop and finding shelter becomes a priority.
Are Centipedes Dangerous?
There are some species of centipedes that are capable of biting. The house centipede is one of these species. The good news is that these pests will not attack unless they feel directly threatened. More often than not, a centipede would rather flee a dangerous situation than try to fight its way out. The even better news is that a centipede’s bite, although mildly toxic, does not pose any serious health risks to humans.
Some Strategies To Prevent Centipedes
There are many ways that centipedes might find their way into your living areas. To reduce your chances of finding these pests or the pests they hunt indoors, here are some great general prevention tips to try today.
- Clear up clutter and debris from your yard and create a five-foot clear and dry perimeter around your home’s exterior.
- Mow your lawn at least once a week and more frequently during times of heavy rainfall.
- Keep up with your landscaping and keep your bushes well-trimmed.
- Identify holes, gaps, and cracks in your home’s exterior foundation and spacing around utility piping and window/door frames. Seal off these potential entry points using a caulking gun or some liquid cement.
- Repair damage to your home’s window/door screens and make sure they are installed properly.
- Make sure all of your exterior doors have door sweeps and that they are properly installed.
- Replaced damaged or missing weatherstripping around your home’s exterior.
- Address leaks in piping and fixtures in and around your home.
- Use a dehumidifier indoors to keep moisture levels down.
- Eliminate sources of water buildup.
- Clean your gutters out and make sure they are in good working condition.
The Benefits Of Professional Pest Control
There is no better answer to your home’s pest problems than to hire the experts at Pro Active Pest Control. We offer detailed service plans to not just eliminate invasive creatures like centipedes but also to keep them out year-round. With a friendly team of technicians at your back and our legacy of providing top-tier care to our community, you can be sure we are your right choice for the job.
Contact us to find a time to have your Mesa property treated for troublesome centipedes.