What would you do if the heating system in your home broke and could not be fixed until after winter? You probably would start looking for somewhere else to stay until the warm weather returned. Rodents feel the same way. As the weather cools down, their outside homes become too cold for their liking. This could push them to search for warmth and shelter within the comfort of Sacramento homes. Naturally, this causes a fair amount of trouble for the folks living there.
Diseases Rodents Can Transmit
Rodents are not clean creatures and often carry dangerous diseases. These diseases are spread to people through rodents urine and fecal matter. Here are some of the most common diseases rodents have been known to carry and transmit.
- Salmonellosis: Also known as salmonella, salmonellosis affects the intestinal tract, causing nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramps, headaches, fever, chills, and sometimes blood in the stool.
- Plague: Notorious for its death count in England ages ago, the plague has symptoms such as abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea, fever and chills, extreme weakness, bleeding, shock, and can even turn skin black. With current medical advancements, the plague is much easier to treat and is rarely fatal.
- Tularemia: Somewhat rare and also known as rabbit fever, tularemia attacks the skin, eyes, lymph nodes, and lungs, causing a fair amount of discomfort and pain.
Rodents are also known for hosting fleas, ticks, and mites. These parasitic pests can be transferred to your pets and can start an infestation of their own inside your home. And many parasitic pests carry their own dangerous diseases such as Lyme disease and murine typhus.
How You Can Keep Rodents Out Of Your Home
Rodents can be kept out of homes in two ways: by sealing off your home's exterior, and by reducing factors that might draw them in. Here are some great places to begin.
- Make sure all of your trash cans have tight-fitting lids.
- Clear debris from your yard.
- Seal gaps around utility piping and holes in your foundation using a caulking gun.
- Store leftover foods inside airtight containers.
- Repackage cardboard-boxed foods in plastic containers.
- Clean regularly.
How To Get Rodents Out If They Invade
If a rodent infestation is caught early enough and their populations have not started growing, you might be able to handle the problem with a few carefully placed traps baited with peanut butter. For every rodent above three that is residing in your Sacramento home, DIY becomes more and more difficult. Your best solution at this point is to give the experts here at Pro Active Pest Control a call. We have the tools and skills needed for the job. Don’t hesitate to find your protection from dangerous rodents today!